Our pilot project in Egypt
Arid areas are vast and projects making use of land and sewage water can be implemented and managed all over the world. One outstanding pilot project, combining all the scientific expertise in afforestation in arid regions, is the one established by the Desert Timber Company and the ForestFinance Group in Egypt. The project is part of the develoPPP.de program that Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) implements on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project serves as a showcase and best practice project. The site is easily accessible and can be visited at any time.
Please contact the Desert Timber team for more information.
The following services and expertise made it possible to successfully establish this project:
- Development of an investment plan and calculation of possible returns
- Development of a forest management plan (mixed tree species, among others mahogany and teak)
- Recruitment of technical and scientific experts
- Securing support from relevant players within the region, contract with relevant ministries and legal authorities
- Selection of a feasible site that is easy to reach and that offers a huge potential
- Partnership with scientific institutions and universities for an onsite monitoring
- Contracting local experts and service providers
- Establishment of an irrigation system
- Selection of good-quality genetic seed materials for the production of seedlings
- Establishment of a tree nursery
- Knowledge transfer and capacity building hand in hand with local service providers